Today is Friday. Can I get a woot woot?
Friday means that I’m almost 2 weeks down with this particular set of goals (3/20-4/25). Granted I had a small piece of chocolate cake (gimme some o’ dat gluten!) on Sunday at my kid’s scouting meeting, but I’ve been EXTREMELY restrictive of the foods that I’m putting in me, with the exception of that cake and 1 order of In-N-Out french fries (both of which were during Week 1 of this). For the MOST part, I’m feeling pretty good except for a few headaches that come and go.
Point by point breakdown on the goals again:
1) NO grains – Other than that piece of chocolate cake (it was GOOD, believe dat), there has been NO gluten in my diet since March 20th. Not missing that all that much, didn’t think I would really.
2) NO added sugar – This one has been a bit rough. Yesterday was the worst it’s been. I spent all day fantasizing about doughnuts, milk chocolate, and cake. It was probably exacerbated by the fact that yesterday was a spur-of-the-moment IF that did NOT go as well as they have in the past (see bullet point 5). My wife bought me some coconut milk to use in my coffee and instead of the plain, unsweetened one she got the vanilla one. Flavor-wise, it’s fantastic. Honestly I didn’t really worry ALL that much about it, seeing as that was my only real source of sugar. Anyway, it’s gone now and she got me an unsweetened one yesterday so from this point on, that’ll do. The only sweet stuff I’ve had is 4 strawberries (seriously I can count it on one hand) and one coconut water (21g of sugar) post-run, due to some cramps I was getting in my leg from what I’m guessing was a potassium shortage.
3) Minimal dairy – This hasn’t been all that tough, except for the cheese. The only dairy I’ve taken in (other than that butter on the shrimp on Day 2) is 1 or 2 pieces of cheese when needed. I haven’t even had cheese EVERY day. The cheese that I’ve been enjoying has been Boar’s Head Jalapeno Havarti (straight from the deli counter!). That is now gone and The Wif got us some Tillamook Pepper Jack (minimal ingredients, IMHO). Bottom line, dairy is being held in check, I think.
4) Exercise- Starting up my running again and I’m taking “baby steps”. Running in my Vibram Bikilas is reminding me that I have calf muscles. That being said, I’ve started out last week with a grand total of 1.5 miles (coming from a guy who’s logged 1,700 miles since mid-2006 it’s definitely a low-mileage week). Took The Wif out the other day for her first half-mile run and it was AWESOME. I think she pleasantly surprised herself and we’re going for a full mile tomorrow. As far as other fitness goes, I’ve been pretty faithful to at least 3 days a week of a combination of bodyweight and kettle bell exercises. In this short period of time, I’ve already noticed my arms getting firmer again and I’ve upped all my reps by one during this second week.
5) Intermittent Fasting. Like I said above, I did a spur-of-the-moment IF yesterday and let’s just leave it at “ROUGH”. I had 2-3 cups of black coffee to carry me through and that was it. Honestly, I think that what might have done me in was that all I had for dinner on Wednesday night was a huge slab of baked salmon. Usually when I fast, I enjoy a pretty hefty dinner the night before. Not the case this time, and I definitely paid for it. Every time I stood up from my desk, I was light-headed and I spent all day with visions of pastries and milk chocolate running through my head. I got home and it was worse. I picked up my Trader Joe’s dark chocolate bar and looked to see how much sugar was in it and lusted after it for probably 5 minutes before setting it back in the pantry and realizing it was all mental.
So, let’s just say for the most part it’s been an interesting experiment and not all that terrible. Weight this morning was 178.2lbs and I’m interested to see if there will be any more coming off in the next 2 weeks. Updates when I have a chance.